Monday, June 20, 2011

We'll Eat You Up! We Love You So!


Tonight I read "Where the Wild Things Are" to Grace for her bedtime book. This was a favorite of mine growing up. In college, I would randomly buy myself my favorite childrens' books, I think as a way to connect with my childhood. This one always stuck with me -- as an artist, the illustrations are amazing, but even more I think because of the story line. This boy Max never leaves his bedroom, but his mind is far away, "past weeks and through a day" -- even the way this book is written. I love everything about it.

I thought about myself when I read the book to Grace tonight. Max has a blast with the "wild things", but then he has to go back home. Everyone does have a home. Over the years as we've moved to different Philadelphia neighborhoods, gone to college, got married, moved to a new church, I've had to say "goodbye" to many friends. The Wild Things get mad when Max leaves. That story revealed my heart! So often when good friends depart for what design God's placed on their lives, my first response is, "Don't go!" -- a friend recently mentioned to me that her and her husband wonder if they're called to the mission field (as in moving away from the U.S.) -- "I'll eat you up, I love you so!" -- haha. This is silly, but somehow it rings true for me.

Friends are definitely a gift from God, but they aren't a right. It's a gift to have a friend text you, call you, tell you they're thinking of you, send you Bible verses, and pray for you. I am so thankful for the many, many godly women God's put in my path. But, if God calls them to distant lands or different churches, I gotta be okay with that.

And ultimately, my hunger for relationships just points me right back to my Ultimate Friend -- the One who will never leave me nor forsake me.