Monday, June 13, 2011

sitting still

<---Our Grace, watching someone ride by on a bike while at Wissahickon Park last month.

Sitting still. I am slowly learning how to give up what I deem important to sit down with Grace, get on her level, and see what's important to her. The Bible calls it "considering others better than yourself." (Phil. 2). I think it's a breath of fresh air for both of us. Today we watched a lightning bug crawl in the dirt. The Lord is helping me. I am thankful.

Lately I've realized that I really struggle looking at images of other people's homes, projects, children, etc. I compare like crazy! It's so easy to look at others' lives and assume all is well, simply because of an image we perceive. My hope is that I'd be more and more willing to let people in on the real stuff that's going on in my life, not just post "beautiful" images of my life...

I struggle. I struggle to love my husband affectionately. I struggle to love my daughter tenderly. I struggle when a neighbor needs my help again. I struggle when my to-do list gets blown for someone else's agenda.

I am a sinner! And... Christ is a great Savior. 1 Timothy says "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners." In the Gospel of Luke, the story is told of Jesus eating with prostitutes and tax collectors. The Pharisees (the "Holy ones") can't believe what they're seeing! "This man eats with sinners!" Jesus rebukes them and says, those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." (Luke 5:31-32).

Thank God that Jesus is that full of compassion toward broken people. Recently the Lord's given me some big fat gospel opportunities. I am learning that having Christ does not make me superior, only that I know where to find Hope. I've heard it said that we're just a bunch of beggars telling each other where to find Bread. (That Bread is Jesus -- John 6). It's not "oh, let me help you", but "here, let me show you Jesus!". "I'm not okay, and you're not okay, and we both need Jesus."

Thank God that Jesus came for the sick. And that the sick (sinners) have real hope!