Thursday, June 2, 2011

random thoughts

•Old Boxers. This week I spent a chunk of time switching out winter/summer clothes. Bill observed that the seasons change quicker than we can keep up with our clothes. I'm amazed at how many clothing three people have accumulated. And how little we've bought for Grace (Thank you Rachel!). I found a pair of boxers with a baseball print on them. Grace asked me where they're from. I realized I bought them at a thrift store during my high school years!

•GPS. I don't know how I ever lived without one! I love the GPS. Except when it says "recalculating." It fascinates me that my GPS "knows" the Speed Limit wherever I am. I actually watched it change once. It even detects traffic jams...

•Google transit. SEPTA's website has a feature called "Plan my Trip" that used to be really convoluted. Now, you have the "Google transit" option. It's much easier to understand, and another reason I love Google. I took the 89 to a friend's house this week and explored a part of Kensington I'm not familiar with. This friend is a homeschooling mother of 3 and super friendly. I loved being in her home and seeing her children get messy and play together. And Grace had a blast with them, too...

•Homeschooling. I survived my first homeschooling conference a few weeks ago.
(www.chaponline.com). Phew! Several friends asked me about my take on the conference, and I gave a variety of answers. For now we are seriously considering homeschooling Grace. And, I didn't agree with everything I heard at the conference, but was thankful to have gone. I was especially thankful for Susan Chrisman's presentations (www.lifelonglearnersonline.com). Her demeanor alone encouraged me. If I could sum up her presentation on the education of preschoolers and kindergartners in two words, it would be "play outside!". I'm thankful I had some time away from home. I'm learning that my home isn't supposed to be a museum, but a real-live house where messes are made and people live. The Lord is slowly teaching me that Perler beads all over my kitchen floor is not something to get upset about. I have so much more to learn. Psalms 78 and 145 have really encouraged me too. Maybe I'll write more on that later!

•Scripture memory songs. I got mine from (http://www.theblazingcenter.com/category/free-scripture-song), a blog that talks about how the Gospel connects to daily life. Some of them aren't my musical style. Some favorites are -- "even the hairs of your head are all numbered." And, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you...Isaiah 43:2"). I struggle with worry and anxiety, and I was so thankful to have found those songs. The melody stuck in my thick head all day and it was so refreshing to go grocery shopping with something good in my mind.