Saturday, June 4, 2011

infinite and personal

Tonight I was hanging out with our neighbor's grandson, Manny, and Grace. We went to the park and played "soccer", then the playground, and on the way back, we stopped and played with a ladybug for awhile. I love seeing how children are so random - they get stopped in their tracks by the tiniest things. They don't have a schedule to keep or errands to run. So we played with this ladybug - well, they did. Manny was so happy letting this ladybug crawl all over him, and then said it was in "shade" after getting thrown around so much. (I think in "shade" meant that the ladybug hid its legs and stopped moving.)

Staring at the ladybug, I realized how small and insignificant it was. The pattern of dots on its shell. I said, "God made that ladybug!" and Manny said, "Really?" I said, "Yes. He made the ladybug, and he made that huge tree over there." He said, "How?" I replied, "Because He's God!"

It reminded me of something I read from "A Praying Life" by Paul Miller. He talks about how God is infinite ("The LORD") and personal ("is my shepherd.") I love thinking this way about God. He controls the pattern of how the sun goes around the earth, and He cares about the number of hairs on my big head of hair.

He is worthy of praise, no matter what is going on. Thank you Lord for little kids and how they remind me to praise you.