Monday, November 15, 2010

GRACE grace grace gRaCe *G * R * A * C * E!

...But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
(2 Corinthians 12:9-10 ESV)

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
(1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV)

These two Scriptures have helped me in my struggle to find identity in Christ, rather than in what I do. I don't know about you, but when I read things on people's blogs (particularly other girlfriends) I so quickly slip into "Wow! I wish I could be as ___ as her."

Lest anyone get the wrong idea about my last post, I want to emphasize - this is a struggle for me, this whole identity in Christ thing. I have wrestled with this more now that I stay at home with Grace. Yesterday, praying with a friend after church, I said, through tears, "I just want to LOVE staying at home! I don't understand why I struggle so much." She kindly looked at me and smiled... because she struggles, too. And she lovingly pointed me to Christ.

I struggle! But God's grace is sufficient.

"God's grace is sufficient for you. Look to the cross where Christ died. There He purchased forgiveness for our sins and power to grow in godliness. Not one of us is equal to this task of mothering, but He will help us in our weakness. God will provide all the grace we need to love our children tenderly." -Carolyn Mahaney, Feminine Appeal