Thursday, November 11, 2010

Grocery Store Epiphany.


This afternoon while racing through Shop Rite, trying to maneuver what I refer to as a "car cart" (shopping cart with toy car attached for Grace to sit in), I probably looked like a frantic mommy - I definitely felt frantic! Trying to get home by 4:45 so Bill could use the car to get to the doctor, making sure I got all the items on my list and staying within budget, making sure Grace wasn't grabbing random things out of the side of that car (is that a trick? The car is designed perfectly so toddlers can grab things at eye-level without parents noticing!), making sure I didn't hit anyone while trying to steer. Phew! I get to the check out line, and this is what I see (to the left), in big bold letters:

What is my true calling?

Hasn't it got to be more significant than racing through Shop Rite like a mad woman?

My true calling. Sounds amazing...untouchable. Like never having to wipe a runny nose. Never having to do anything unglamorous. Living.. .for ... Julia.

I was awestruck as the Lord prompted me to remember Psalm 16:11 while staring at this magazine cover, even with the buzz of cash registers and smut magazines and Grace grabbing candy (at eye level!).

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11 ESV)

The Lord Jesus by His Holy Spirit brought that Scripture to mind. I heard it clearly like someone was reading to me. I leaned over, sun glaring in my eyes, and felt a calm come over me as I soaked in those words. "In your presence is fullness of joy."

My life calling is to follow Jesus, the One who willingly gave up His glory in Heaven to take on human skin; and die like a criminal - all for me. Living for Him is the only thing that's going to make me happy. I can be happy disinfecting a toilet, designing a logo, or dashing around a grocery store - because my identity, my life calling, and my purpose aren't wrapped up in what I do - they are all wrapped up in Christ!