

Thanksgiving (as always) was great this year. We visited bill's parents and awesome sisters, my mom and stepdad, and my dad, who all live conveniently close to each other in central PA. Grace is pictured above wearing my Dad's shoe. In the other picture, she's wearing my Stepdad's hat. She is super proud of herself -- she can put on her own shoes (sort of, with help!) -- which she calls "shh" (shoes). Her words include: "doc" (dog), "baall" (ball), and tons more. She also knows how to point out my eyes, ears, nose, and mouth (but often gets them confused!)
We have been busy in november. We attended a rally to keep our fishtown library open (link). Grace and i also trekked to city hall for the first city council meeting to determine whether or not a "moratorium" should be placed on the date of the library's closing. We were also on THE NEWS! (Fox 29) a few weeks ago (Grace and I), at the first library rally. It was a 5 minute segment- the cameramen showed Grace holding a "keep our library open!" sign, and the anchor interviewed me briefly. Very strange to see ourselves on the "big screen" -- I'm still working on getting a DVD copy of the newscast... Meanwhile, rallies and marches and gatherings are happening all over Fishtown to keep this library open. My big concern isn't so much for me personally -- Grace and I could go to a different library -- it's for the kids in my neighborhood who don't own a computer. If I had my way, I'd buy 10 computers and open up my living room... but that might not work. For now, I'm praying that as a community, we can figure out how to help these kids. It's a really sad situation when such a violent city has this type of problem. Mayor Nutter most likely doesn't WANT to close 11 libraries...
If you're interested in following this issue, keep reading my friend's blog (linked above).