"I know our culture will sometimes understand a love of Jesus as weakness. There is this lie floating around that says I am supposed to be able to do life alone, without any help, without stopping to worship something bigger than myself. But I actually believe there is something bigger than me, and I need for there to be something bigger than me. I need someone to put awe inside me; I need to come second to someone who has everything figured out." --Don Miller, Blue Like Jazz, pg 237
I like this Don Miller quote, because in this chapter of the book, right at the end, he talks about how he just flat out NEEDS Jesus. How he admires the faith of an older man, Bill Bright, who at the very mention of Jesus' name, wept like a baby.
This week, I have walked through some pretty deep waters with a friend I really care about. I am very sad about it all. "All" -- life circumstances, sin, darkness, disappointment, the curse, this crazy messed up broken world. But, I am, holding onto hope-- Jesus Christ -- and I have nothing else to do.
In John 6:68, Simon Peter says to Jesus, "Where else can we go? You alone have the words of eternal life." Peter knew. Peter failed -- but Peter was kept. His faith stayed in place, and was held together by nothing more than the grace of God Himself.
It seems that now, more than ever, I am feelin this. There is simply nowhere to go but to the feet of Jesus Christ, in constant prayer, constant conversation with Him.
As my daughter often reminds me, "Jesus is really important." :-)