Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come?
Lamentations 3:38 ESV
As I have lived in Philadelphia for almost ten years, and am learning so much about God, the world, culture, life -- I am astounded at how the things below aren't simply "gifts" from God, they are also "status symbols" (in no particular order).
• Stay at home mother
• Husband with a full-time job (that he likes)
• Happily married
• A car that we own
• A driver's license
• A completed college education (literacy)
I was talking to my friend about this yesterday, and one of her refrains is, "Yeah. You can minister to others." -- i.e., I have these things (gifts) so that I can minister to other people around me. She's RIGHT!
But, sometimes -- these gifts, and how I got them, honestly baffles me. I'm thankful for them, but I certainly don't deserve any of them . . .
In my city, there is so much brokenness. This whole world is broken, but there are moments in Philadelphia where the brokenness is just right up SMACK in your face, and there is no skirting around it politely. Being in this city means you have to be okay with being around people, a LOT of people, and people who are just so incredibly different+beautiful+crazy all at once.
It's very humbling. And I'm thankful that my family being here, on this block, at this time in our lives, is no mistake. God is here with us, He sees what we see, and He sees way, way bigger than what we see. He knows each situation, each person, and each problem. And He doesn't even need us to intervene. He chooses to use us.
- - - -
Sigh . . . Give us grace Lord, we need it. Thank You that You will. Amen.