Monday, February 20, 2012

fresh thoughts on blessings, part 2

After I blogged on Friday, I felt sobered/thankful for those realizations I posted.

Thankful for yesterday's sermon @ GBC. In it, our pastor (toward end) gives us a challenge: STOP DOUBTING GOD. I found it helpful, but also sharpening to my heart. A lot of times, the situations I encounter in life baffle me. I often find myself thinking about the practicals of "what I can do" to help people, or figure things out, and I neglect the POWER OF GOD part. -- Yet, I am confident that God will help me.

Common thread: thinking through practical, intellectual things won't get you the relief you need.

"You cannot simply get relief by figuring out your idols [or anything] intellectually. You have to actually get the peace that Jesus gives, and that only comes as you worship. Analysis can help you discover truths, but then you need to 'pray them in' to your heart."
–Tim Keller, Counterfeit Gods, p. 175

This is true for me in my walk with God. I often think, "Okay God, what do I need to do next to conquer this problem?" Answer: pray and believe Jesus is better and will help. Pray it up!

Fine print: easier said than done. Easier to blog about it than to live it out. Just sayin! ;-)