I love Walt and Roberta, and I don't know them very well at all. I just know that they prayed for what is now happening at Grace Bible Church, and they prayed perseveringly for years -- and for that, I have deep respect for them.
And, Grace loves getting a "mint" from Roberta every week. Every week.
Walt and Roberta make a prayer calendar for our church. Each day has a name on it, a member of the church to pray for. A few months ago, the church held a family meeting, which they do at least 3 times per year to talk about church business as a congregation (the budget, church events, people to thank). Walt spoke briefly about the importance of praying for people. He said that even if we don't know the people personally, we are still called to pray, and we can pray like this:
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:14-21 ESV)
He said that people will always have needs, and we may not know their exact situation, but we can always pray for spiritual strength.
This greatly encouraged me, because I often find myself getting obsessed with people's problems rather than taking them to God. I often get frazzled over situations and I forget to go to God with them -- and then it just gets ugly, to be honest. Anxiety, fear, whatever.
Walt also quoted 1 Peter 1, and 2 Corinthians 4 very readily. Walt is a pastor, so he should know Scripture like this, of course -- but I was blessed by the fact that it was on his heart so readily. So quickly he quoted it, like it was his own. This is how I want Scripture to be in my own life.
It's beautiful to have friends like Walt and Roberta -- people who you may not have a lot in "common" with on the surface, but people who love God's Word and are living for Christ -- and have been doing it for longer than you've been alive. Now that's cool.
I want to imitate the faith of Walt and Roberta Grummt. And have many years of my life lived for Christ, just like them.
*pictured above: Grace and Roberta. This was taken a couple summers ago, with Grace's shorter hair. Roberta had probably just read a Bible verse to Grace, which does regularly, and then gives her a mint. I pray that my little girl grows up and remembers Roberta's kindness.