I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
yes, I will remember your wonders of old.
I will ponder all your work,
and meditate on your mighty deeds.
(Psalm 77:11-12)
We will not hide them from their children,
but tell to the coming generation
the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might,
and the wonders that he has done.
(Psalm 78:4)
They forgot his works
and the wonders that he had shown them.
(Psalm 78:11)
How often they rebelled against him in the wilderness
and grieved him in the desert!
(Psalm 78:40)
These are some verses I've been thinking about lately and relating them to Grace. Lately I've been wrestling with circumstances and fighting to see God through them. Sometimes fighting makes me weary. And I lose sight of things very, very quickly. Reading this Spurgeon quote below convicted me.
"Some Christians are sadly prone to look on the dark side of everything, and to dwell more upon what they have gone through than upon what God has done for them. Ask for their impression of the Christian life, and they will describe their continual conflicts, their deep afflictions, their sad adversities, and the sinfulness of their hearts, yet with scarcely any allusion to the mercy and help which God has vouchsafed them. But a Christian whose soul is in a healthystate, will come forward joyously, and say, “I will speak, not about myself, but to the honour of my God. He hath brought me up out of an horrible pit, and out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings: and he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God. The Lord hath done great things for me, whereof I am glad ...
It is true that we have our corruptions, and mournfully do we know this, but it is quite as true that we have an all-sufficient Saviour, who overcomes these corruptions, and delivers us from their dominion." --Charles Spurgeon, Morning and Evening (June 9 Morning)
By God's grace, I want to acknowledge that, yes there are hard things in life. Jesus didn't promise us a trouble-free life. But He did promise His presence. If I am not regularly remembering how He's been good to me, what in the world will I pass on to my daughter?
I am thankful that God made me a mother. My daughter is a constant reminder to me that life does not revolve around me.
With Easter rolling around, I am aware that my daughter will learn from me. What do I value? Her Easter dress or her heart toward God? Now, I know that her 3 year old heart can only take in so much - but it does take in something. She knows what's important to me. She watches me - she sees me. The longer I type, the more sobering this gets.
Thanks be to God through my Lord Jesus Christ. For as many times as my mothering is not up to par with what it should be, God's grace runs deeper... because of Christ.