Sunday, February 20, 2011

"You Can See Something Else"









Various pictures I took today on a "photo shoot" of my neighborhood. Things I see everyday. Trash in the gutter. Beautiful trees extending their branches, the way the light hits them before the sun sets; my neighbor, a house damaged by fire back in December - slowly being repaired.

"This world is beautiful but badly broken." -N.D Wilson

My teenage neighbor, who I want to "show the love of Christ" to, often shows me how much I myself need Him. I am thankful for that.

The man whose home that is (with the flag) -- he clings to God. He lost his wife to cancer and then weeks later, his home to fire. He clings to God in the midst of these things. I ran into him and his son recently. How could I not be encouraged from just one 10 minute encounter with him? He sees "Something Else" going on in his life. The way his friend is helping him rebuild the house, how his friend doesn't yet know Jesus. My neighbor has a view of God that I long for. I am so thankful for him.

God is in everything. I am learning this. He is in a random ride on the bus through Kensington, talking to a stranger about Jesus. He is in walking Grace to the park. He is in every bit of every facet of my life.

"Be still my soul -- the hour is hastening on -- when we shall meet the Lord". . . let my life be shaped by this Lord, nothing else.

Title "Something Else" is from a Sara Groves song, from her album "Fireflies and Songs".