On this Monday morning, I pondered this quote while getting ready before Grace woke up. And the night before, Bill, Grace & I read in her Bible that Jesus wants us to come to Him just like little children do - messy, weak, helpless, and often. So I had a bunch of things swirling around in my mind before all of this happened...
While washing my hair this morning, I hear the bathroom door open. Grace is up! No big deal, she can sit herself on the potty, I have many one more minute in the shower. She says, "I have to go potty." Next thing I know, she's squatting (on the floor), pajamas on, and her pants are soaked! Happy Monday!
I got myself together, cleaned her up, and all the while realized that her state was a tangible illustration for me: helplessness.
In reading Paul Miller's book, "A Praying Life", I'm learning about how people have this allergic reaction to being helpless. If Jesus tells us to come like children, surely we should at least figure out our own problems first, get cleaned up, and then come. Right?
Grace peeing on herself today reminded me of my state before God. I'm helpless. I can't do anything for myself without the help of God and the mercies of Christ. Thank God there are mercies on top of mercies. Grace upon grace!
My girlie may be able to do a few things by herself, but she's still very dependent on me. I am thankful my Monday morning began with a reminder to depend on God.
Like the poem I posted, my prayer is that Grace doesn't see a Mommy who's "got it all together", who likes to organize and decorate and cook and clean and entertain, but a Mommy who admits her weaknesses, confesses her sin, and knows that she has nothing to boast in but Jesus.
Please Lord let this be true of my mothering.