One thing I know for sure: the only place sorrow and rejoicing come together is in the cross of Jesus. The only One who understands the depths of despair and the heights of joy is Jesus. And my friend Jenny loves Him, trusts Him, and delights in Him. And that's my hope.
God has taken Jenny from spiritual death to spiritual life. He opened her eyes to see her need for Jesus. And she rests in the arms of her Father, who loved her enough to give her Jesus - He began her faith in Him, and He will bring it to completion - yes, even through something as tragic as the loss of her mother. The God we serve is the God who makes beauty out of ashes - only God can do that. And He will. He will make my friend Jenny into the woman He intends for her to be. That is magnificent!
It is amazing to see a church family surround and embrace each other - pray, serve, love, cry, rejoice. Apart from Christ we'd have nothing in common! God is so good to give Jenny a church family. God is so good to have let Jenny's Mom see her own daughter come to faith in Him. God is so good for reasons beyond my small eyes.
And, all of this gives my days new significance. Jenny's Mom passed away so suddenly - and that's how life is. It's gone in a vapor. I so quickly forget that. Me, with my stupid obsessions and worries, my plans, my schedule, my ideas, my struggles, - my life so quickly becomes all about me - there isn't room for other people. Ha! And God still chooses to love me, and show me unconditional mercy and grace. AND, every time He looks at me - He sees His Son Jesus - and chooses to love me in spite of what I've done. That is amazing!
So, by God's grace, I want to enjoy every second I share with Bill and Grace. I want to savor the sound of Grace's voice at 7am (or earlier!) calling "Mama! Come on!". I want to cook 3 meals a day for her, help her on the potty, teach her the alphabet, and read the Bible to her with a new perspective. "Life Isn't All About Me." - what a novel thought.
I want to love my friends and family with Christ's love - because I have been loved, really loved. I want to see their struggles and have faith that God is at work. Because I have been so loved.
And I want to believe and remember that prayer does make a difference. God's Word in the book of James, 5:16, "The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."
This is my prayer for Jenny -- Romans 15:13 -- May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.