Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fishtown -> Northwood

We're moving!

For the last few months (of 2009), Bill and I prayed about moving to a new church in Philly, Grace Bible Church. It was hard leaving our church in NJ, Sovereign Grace Church, after three great years of being members there. In November, we decided to make the switch and a few weeks later, we were offered a little place to live that would be much closer to our new church than where we live now. All that to say, we decided to move to Northwood. We'll live in the 1st floor of a house, 3 other guys from the church live on the 2nd & 3rd floors. Our space is definitely tiny - on Large Street. :) We're moving THIS Saturday (also known as my Birthday!).

Between moving to a new church, preparing for Christmas, visiting family in December, and packing, our lives have been pretty full. We're really going to miss being in Fishtown; we've made a lot of friends here and have so many memories in our little house here. It's strange seeing our lives packed into boxes. I never realized how much space my journals take up in our basement - I've been keeping journals since age 14 (I'll be 28!) - that's a lot of journals.

Grace talks about "the new house" almost every morning - it's more obvious to her because her room is the emptiest one in the house. We've been reading The Berenstain Bears "Moving Day" to teach her what it all means. It's so neat to see her process through all of this.

I'm finding that I just can't write about this move in the way that I want to. I told Bill that it feels like sketching, and not being able to draw something the way it looks in your head. There's a writer I like, Don Miller, who writes about moving in a much better way than I can, in his introduction to his book Through Painted Deserts.

Large Street, here we come . . .