
This week, I made $10 in 4 minutes.How? I took a short survey about CVS's card department, and voila! $10 gift card. Yay.
I had dreams of spending it on film processing. Because I have 4 or 5 rolls in my fridge that are just sitting there, waiting to be developed. Alas, I spent the $10 on a power bar, lotion, a greeting card, and crackers for Grace.
But, I was eyeing the film section at CVS, and it hit me. In a few years, film could be completely obsolete. My surprise may not make sense to most people, but I have a special love for film that goes back to my high school years. I spent in the darkroom, learning how to put film on a reel, developing it, getting photo fixer on my hands, and making print after print. The idea of this process disappearing makes me really sad. I started thinking about it more intensely when it was announced that Kodachrome (amazing film for taking slides) was no longer going to be produced. All of a sudden, I feel old. I may be getting a digital camera this Christmas, but I'm holding onto my Pentax SLR for dear life.
I'm sure that most people would tell me to "get with the times" and move on. I don't know why, but I can't. I like old things. I remember when Nintendo 64 came out - I couldn't understand the idea of playing a Nintendo game with more than 2 dimensions of space. I guess I stick to what I know.