Friday, May 1, 2009
ah-two-free-four-fiiiive
Last Wednesday, Grace and I started a new tradition as Mom & Daughter: PAJAMA MORNING. (I got the idea from another blog I read - a Mom and her little one took a "morning off" every now and then: threw their routine out the window, and enjoyed time together just hanging out!). I must admit, it was really hard for me to NOT do the morning dishes, NOT give Grace her bath, and NOT straighten things up every five seconds, which I normally do. We had a blast though, and when it was time to get going with our day, I kind of wanted to stay in PJ's!
The video above documents her skill of counting to FIVE (this is just for you, Sheila!) :) She also says "Where show go?" when I turn off the music in the background. She says "Sleep" quickly when she puts her head on the pillow, and toward the end of the video, she says "Smile!" (gee, I wonder how she picked that one up?).
I hope that we can keep this tradition going. I'm looking forward to when Grace is a teen- maybe she'll still want to do this? Maybe we'll do it by going to Starbucks in our PJ's and getting coffees together. Throughout the day, I remembered our morning with a smile. Having a break from the "everyday" is a good thing.
This past week, my friend Janet babysat Grace for the morning, while I went to the library to work on a design project. As I sat there, plugged into my computer and iPod - in the "zone", I saw all of these stay-home Moms I know from the neighborhood, coming in with their kids. I immediately missed Grace terribly! When I came home, we ate lunch, and then I put Grace down for her nap. As she fell asleep in my arms, I thought - "This is my real job."
Another fun thing this week: I learned that cleaning the bathroom while plugged into the iPod is not only way cooler, it's way more fun. Somehow I'm motivated a lot more when I have music to work by. Jogging is more fun, too. Grace even likes the iPod... I even taught her how to say it. Is that weird? My only woe is that she's going to grow up thinking that technology is just something that everyone has. She already requests to see our digital photos right after we take them: she says "See 'em! See!" Pretty crazy...