"...Gethsemane, Gabbatha, and Golgotha have been a means of comfort to you.
The bitter herbs of Gethsemane have often taken away the bitters of your
life; the scourge of Gabbatha has often scourged away your cares, and
the groans of Calvary yields us comfort rare and rich." -- Charles Spurgeon, quoted here:
http://firstimportance.org/the-hill-of-comfort/
This is so encouraging to my heart. As the New Year approaches, I keep thinking about
how much we've gone through as a family. Waiting for a child has been so much more
than just waiting for a child. I'm so thankful for how much I've learned through this
waiting. I've come to realize that adoption isn't just about us adding to our family. It's
not about Grace "finally" getting a sibling. It's not about having enough money to cover
adoption fees.
It was always about God getting His due glory -- the fame, honor, & reverence due His name.
He got this in my life as He comfort(s) (ed). (past, present & future tense verb all at once!)
Therefore the LORD waits to be gracious to you,
and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you.
For the LORD is a God of justice;
blessed are all those who wait for him.
(Isaiah 30:18 ESV)
There have been many a sleepless night, as I lay awake, thinking of things in my past,
present, and fears of the future. Time and time again,the Holy Spirit directed my
thinking to two things: Gethsemane or Easter Morning. The only two things I could really
pick apart with accuracy. Like a movie in my mind. These two things brought comfort.
And so Spurgeon nails it: "The herbs of Gethsemane have often taken away the bitters of
your life."
Praise God for the healing, praise God for the provision, praise God for his comfort given
through Jesus Christ! Amen.