Tuesday, November 27, 2012

learning as i wait

Last weekend, I found a blog for adoptive mamas. One of the big topics was "how to survive the wait." For adoptive parents (like Bill and I), once you have that approved home study, and the submitted profile, the real waiting begins. Waiting for an expectant parent to interview you and then . . . more waiting . . . 

One foot in front of the other! 

During this wait, these two truths have kept me sane -- only with God's constant help . . .

1. Do not live in the future (worry lives in the future)

2. Depend on God

And, duh! These two things are gonna be true beyond the waiting season with adoption :) but blogging about it helps. 

Worry lives in the future. I am sooo thankful for the book Running Scared by Ed Welch. My fave one-liner from it is . . . worry lives in the future.


"Anxiety asks for more information so it can be prepared for the coming apocalypse. It also asks for more information so it can manage the world apart from God." (p. 137, Running Scared)

"Your future includes manna. It will come. There is no sense devising future scenarios now because God will do more than you anticipate..." (p. 140 Running Scared, my emphasis)

Depend on God.
The weakness, the "what if" questions that weigh me down; God is using it all to make me realize how tiny and weak and needy I am. My weakness is a vehicle to drive me to Him (duh!). I'm pointing out things that are just so obvious, yet sometimes it feels like I'm just learning all this. Pretty sure that's how creatures are supposed to be . . . dependent, stubborn, needing grace, learning & re-learning . . . confident that the Author and Perfecter of our faith will finish what He started! 
  
(2 Corinthians 12:9 esv) “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

(Psalm 55:22 esv) Cast your burden on the LORD and He will sustain you; He will not permit the righteous to be moved.

(Psalm 37:5 esv) Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act.


- - - - -


Father, thank you for caring for us. Thank you for picking us up when we fail and giving us Jesus and His mercy for our failures. Please help us wait on You, rely on You, and see You very clearly. Help us see You as bigger than our circumstances. We need You. We love You.