Thursday, April 5, 2012

Lauren Chandler

The quotes below are from an interview with Lauren Chandler (read the entire thing here). Her husband, Matt, was diagnosed with cancer, but as of January, doctors can find "no evidence of a tumor." I can't imagine how wonderful that news must be for their family. I was so, so blessed by Lauren's perspective on suffering and how she looks to Jesus through it.


"In his study of Galatians, Tim Keller says, "Jesus suffered, not that we might not suffer but that when we suffer, we could become like him." This season of suffering has become an opportunity to press more and more into the Father, and be shaped by him more and more into the likeness of Jesus. It has been an appointed time to let all other "props" go so that I may lean solely on him. By no means do I lean on him perfectly. There are plenty of false props that he brings to my attention, of which I continually have to confess and repent. But, even then, it is an opportunity to believe the gospel and trust that even as I don't 'get it right' Jesus got it right for me, and he has made a way for me to run to him, not from him when I inevitably fail."
"What I've found to be so interesting is that there are plenty of people who are surprised when suffering comes but also plenty who suspect it around every corner. Some believe that the Lord has positioned them on the anvil of suffering and is just waiting to bring the hammer of loss down on their heads. Lamentations 3:31-33 says that though the Lord may cause grief to his children, "He does not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men." This gives us a very different glimpse of God. Yes, he may choose for his great purpose and our great joy to allow suffering in our lives, but he isn't champing at the bit to do so. At the heart of suffering is God's steadfast love."