I read Lord of the Rings while I wrestled through depression a couple years ago. It took me around 2 years, I think, to read all 3 of the books. But it was a huge help to me in understanding evil and truth. I was definitely one of the "I would never watch Lord of the Rings" people, and then I got converted into a Lord of the Rings lover.
I am particularly fond of the scene in "The Fellowship of the Ring" where Gandalf fights the Balrog. His line, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" connects beautifully with Genesis 15:1, where God tells Abraham not to be afraid. Imagine Abraham saying, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" to an anxiety monster.
The above scene is a character, Eowyn, from book 3 ("The Return of the King"). She fights one of the scariest guys, but through the entire scene, he doesn't know she's a woman. It is pure poetry. Out of context though, it admittedly looks pretty silly :)
Thanks Rachel for leading G4L, and pointing out to me that Genesis 15 connects with Abraham. I was struggling with anxiety big time, and when you pointed it out, it was like someone turned on a light switch.
Peace