Monday, April 18, 2011

no lesser work.


Even weeds are beautiful... Today was the first day of Spring Break. Bill is in his last two weeks of graduate school at California University of PA (online). He's only two weeks away from getting his master's degree. So this year's "Spring Break" means he's writing his thesis. It's the tail end of a two-year period of learning how to "release" Bill to work in addition to all the work he already does. And, I'm thankful for these two years, because I think they were good preparation for lots more "releasing" him in the future. I am thankful that he was able to complete this work while taking the bus to school, while on breaks during teaching difficult students, and on saturdays, instead of having to drive to an actual university. So he's spending some afternoons in the apartment upstairs while Grace and I are home doing our thing. Today, that included hanging out with our neighbor, doing laundry, and baking banana bread.

Colossians 3:23-24 says -- Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

I thought about this verse today in light of Bill's prayer for our family at dinner tonight. He prayed that the Lord would bless his paper writing, but he also prayed that the Lord would bless my bread making, and help me in it. I'm so thankful for this verse, because on the surface, or according to the world's wisdom, writing a paper (final thesis for a master's degree) is infinitely more valuable than baking bread. And, obviously, a lot more work went into Bill's project, and I do not want to minimize that! But to pray that I'd be able to make bread? It just reminded me that there is no such thing as "lesser work" in God's kingdom. I've come to this conclusion when I'm juggling being a mama while trying to do a design project. While I was cleaning the toilet a few years ago, I thought to myself -- I can design a logo or wipe a dirty bottom -- it all glorifies God. This is a thought I need to rehearse often. I'm thankful for another opportunity today to be reminded of it.

p.s. The picture above is a weed in our lawn. I can't get over how gorgeous spring is. Yesterday I spent an hour photographing a neighbor's cherry tree in blossom. I must have looked like such a weirdo with my camera, but I was having so much fun! And, I'm so thankful for how many trees and gardens I've found in this part of the city. God is awesome. Even weeds are beautiful... well, Bill has a different perspective on weeds than mine. We also spent some time at Home Depot yesterday buying weed killer and ez seed to grow some bare spots on the lawn. :)