Grace Bible Church -- my extended family. I am so thankful for the many godly men and women who we have had the honor of knowing in this last year. Allyson (the grown up in the middle picture) and her family have since moved to the South and they are missed immensely by those at our church.
I am so thankful for Nate, Sheryl, Jenny, Bo, and Nick, and Jane, and so many others who babysit for us at the drop of a hat. I'm so thankful for Dan and Jodi who serve our care group tirelessly. I'm so thankful for Ian and his sermons and Rachel's friendship to me and for her cooking and counseling skills. Particularly thankful for Ian and Dan who have helped Bill as he learns about servant leadership. I'm so thankful for Bill and Lisa -- the coffeeshop, our apartment. They love Jesus. And the way they use their time and resources proves that. I'm thankful for all my mama-friends.
I do not want to take these people for granted. I am so encouraged and blessed by the body of Christ. Even by those who I don't get to see as much from Sovereign Grace Church in NJ. I'm particularly reminded in some recent ministry opportunities that the body of Christ isn't contained in Philadelphia or in suburban south Jersey. The Gospel really is bearing fruit and growing, all over the place.
I am amazed at the opportunities that are here. Tucked away in tiny side streets are people who need Jesus! Moving to this part of the city has only opened my eyes to this. So often I am aware of all the "needs" -- I forget that God is completely in control and an "ever present help" to everyone who calls on Him. And, whoever He appoints to believe, they will believe!
Philadelphia... it may not really be the "city of brotherly love", but in my eight years of living here, God has grown my heart for the place I'm living... even parking spots reserved with lawn chairs.