What an interesting morning I had. Funny parts, embarrassing parts, spiritual metaphor parts, it was jammed with meaning for me. Seeing everything through creative "this would be a great blog entry or short story" eyes.Grace and I were on our way to my friend's house for our weekly playdate. Food - check. Purse - check. Keys - check. Had everything. Put stuff on front seat. Grace in her carseat. I was moving so fast, before I realized it, I'd closed her door and mine, with my purse (wallet, cell phone, and keys) locked inside. And Grace. For a second I stood there in disbelief. Okay... wait... I am standing here watching my daughter sitting nonchalantly in her seat while everything I need is out of reach. I was dumbfounded. For a split second, I realized that I was completely and utterly helpless. I could do NOTHING except say, "HELP!" I didn't even have my phone. I couldn't get into my house (which I was standing outside of!).
It reminded me that this is my standing before God - everyday - feeling strong or not. I am completely and utterly helpless, hands tied, can't do a thing without His help - without the mercies of Christ, I am dead. A goner. This may sound "dramatic", but in that moment, that was exactly what God put into my mind!
Thankfully, one of the housemates who lives on the 2nd floor, Schimri, was JUST leaving and I flagged him down, and told him what happened. At first I thought I'd try AAA, but then decided to have him call the police instead. He left to go back to work, and I was standing there for maybe TWO minutes when a giant fire truck pulled up, followed by a second one. Within minutes, 8 uniformed men were surrounding our car. I was torn between wanting to hide and wanting to hug them all. One of them used some pole to unlock the door, while the others guided him. A friendly guy next to me said, "We get calls like this all the time." Okay, that made me feel better... but not really. Thankfully, Grace was so cool with all of this. She didn't bat an eyelash. She was more upset that our house mate left because she loves his company! This was one of many moments I was so thankful for Grace's happy disposition. She was actually waving and smiling at the firemen! Within a few minutes, the door was unlocked and all of the men left.
We were on our way up the Boulevard to Rachel's. Listening to music to help me focus on Jesus, trying to calm down... I gave Grace a bag of dried apricots for a snack. I was so distracted that I forgot to take them back from her, and when we got to my friend's house, discovered the entire bag was empty. Later, I joked about how Grace had had her Vitamin A dose for the entire week. A friend warned that it may be explosive...
After my friend's house, I drove to Walmart, intending to buy underwear for Grace anyway, but then bought them out of dire need. At Rachel's, Grace already had one accident from the apricots. So I was down to no spare clothes, no plastic bags, nothing. Completely unprepared... while at Walmart, Grace had that "look" in her eye that only her mother and father recognize... She pooped in the cart. So, I took her to the bathroom. Meanwhile, she's upset about the poop, and terrified of the sound of the toilet flushing, so the poor thing is standing around with her hands over her ears, screaming, terrified, poopy... It was hard to stay calm. I changed her, then walked back to the underwear section -- with a half naked kid. I didn't even have the guts to joke about it with anyone! I just wanted us to disappear. We bought underwear and shorts, managed to get her changed, and drove home.
When I got home, I reviewed several conversations I had. Becky, who is the mommy of a toddler and an infant, was sharing about her joy being circumstantial, rather than rooted in Christ. I was encouraging her in that, and reminding her that nothing can take her joy away, even though it may seem like it. Ironic. And, Sophia and I were talking about how God is in control of all of our circumstances... almost as if God was preparing me for the craziness I was heading into.
I'm glad today is over, but I'm even more glad that God has helped me see things in a different way. Sure, I got angry, grumbled, complained - but all the while, there was this peace. The peace that my friend Heidi mentioned - that "passes all understanding." In that bathroom, when I just wanted to scream or disappear, I was aware that God was WITH me, enabling me to lovingly help Grace and change her. That Christ's mercies were all over that day.
In the daily routine of life, it's so easy to think that we're heading into "another day", but I'm encouraged to think about how God designs each day, carefully crafts it in such a way that He gets the most glory. And that glory is for our deepest benefit. A mystery, but one I'm comfortable with. If He gave His Son for me, He will give me everything I need.
Hopefully tomorrow is a little less exciting.