Sunday, March 14, 2010

Poems of the Incarnation

A few years ago, I read a commentary on the book of John (in the bible) by Bruce Milne. It included some beautiful poems about the birth, life, death, and resurrection of Jesus. This time of year, I start dreaming about the resurrection of Jesus. With the weather turning warmer, I start thinking about it. When I wake up and pray, look at the sky outside our apartment -- going from black to delicate pale blue -- I think about what that first morning might have been like for Mary Magdalene. What did it sound like when the resurrected Christ drew His first breath, being raised from the dead?

Here is one of the poems by Elizabeth Rooney from the book, Poems of the Incarnation, edited by Luci Shaw.

Opening

Now is the shining fabric of our day
Torn open, flung apart, rent wide by love.
Never again the tight, enclosing sky,
The blue bowl or the star-illumined tent.
We are laid open to infinity
For Easter love has burst His tomb and ours.
Now nothing shelters us from God's desire --
Not flesh, not sky, not stars, not even sin.
Now glory waits so He can enter in.
Now does the dance begin.

-Elizabeth Rooney