Friday, September 11, 2009

cool quotes from Lord of the Rings

I've been enjoying Lord of the Rings, the books, for a few months now. I finished "Fellowship of the Ring" while on vacation in July - I honestly don't even remember when I started reading it! So worth it though. Now I'm almost halfway into "The Two Towers".

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-- Gandalf to Aragorn, Legolas, & Gimli

This quote reminds me of any struggling Christian, although it personally resonates with me. Just struggling in this big haze sometimes, and then reflecting on the power that is available in Christ's name, and seeking Him for it - that's where the strength comes from.

"You are our captain and our banner. The Dark Lord has Nine. But we have One, mightier than they: The White Rider. He has passed through the fire and the Abyss, and they shall fear him. We will go where he leads." --Aragorn to Gandalf

Totally reminds me of Jesus: considering His life- He hung on a cross, was completely abandoned by God and became the object of God's anger. Died, then rose - conquered death itself. Truly Jesus passed through the fire and the Abyss and more than I'll ever really understand.